Glass SocietiesHVGDGGBecome a member!TCsFA V - Objectives
FA V - History
FA V - Links
FA V - Kontakt
FacilityStellenangeboteJunge DGGStipendienImpressumKontakt

History of DGG Technical Committee V

Technical Committee V (FA V) of DGG was founded in 1931 in Frankfurt/Main. The refining and design of glass, glass in architecture and the history of glass technology were already emphasised under its first chair Wilhelm von Eiff. Members of FA V were professors of colleges of design as well as artists, art historians, architects, technologists and industrialists creating a lively, inspiring forum. Technological and aesthetic aspects as well as viewpoints of art history were equally considered in the lectures, discussions and publications.

Pioneers of the German glass and design world made important contributions to the committee work, such as for example: Bruno Taut, Wilhelm Wagenfeld, Richard Süßmuth, Bruno Mauder and not least Wilhelm von Eiff.

Walter Dexel took over the chair from 1950 and put a clear emphasis on the topics of glass forming and industrial design. Wilhelm Braun-Feldweg, who hold the chair from 1967 to 1972, was engaged along the same line. In the years 1972 to 1984, Axel von Saldern put the history of glass art and current results in research into the foreground. Furthermore, he directed the attention to the innovative work of the leading artists of the studio glass movement. Helmut Ricke built up these key points successfully between 1984 and 2001. He was also very involved in the debate on current positions within glass art and increasingly focussed on the topical complex "design, architecture and glass". From 2001 to 2019 Christina Schroeter-Herrel continued the way of her predecessor and took a special focus on the interdisciplinary dialog between the sciences of nature, history and art, as well as the management of glass industries and mueums. Since 2019, Xenia Riemann-Tyroller has been chair of FA V.